Economic Insight Team Leader (business & Investment Strategy) (flexibly Located Within Scotland)
Together Scottish Water are Trusted to Serve Scotland.
Do you want to be part of building a team which is enthused about the practical application of economics to the water industry, and is working to bring customer and community insights into the heart of investment decision making? Then come and work with Scottish Water as part of Scottish Water’s Economic Insights team!
The Economic Insights team is part of Business & Investment Strategy. Scottish Water are focussed on creating a coherent, well evidenced, dynamic Investment Strategy that bridges between near term decision making and progress towards achieving Scotland’s Water Sector Vision at the lowest economic cost to Scottish Water customers over the long term. Scottish Water team members have a variety of backgrounds from various economic specialities, as well as finance, data science, cost and value management, and of course many people with engineering backgrounds and great experience of the water industry.
Scottish Water immediate focus is to bring customer, community and environmental perspectives into strategic investment decision making, through the application of cost benefit analysis and other evaluation approaches. To support this kind of analysis throughout Scottish Water, Scottish Water are also leading an exciting and innovative programme of customer research, to gather the information that Scottish Water need to allow Scottish Water customers to influence and shape Scottish Water investment priorities. This will also inform Scottish Water’s approach to reporting and performance.
About the Role
This is a hugely exciting role, which will allow the right individual to influence decision making across Scottish Water. They will be able to help build and lead a small but effective team of specialists to applying economic thinking and analysis to create an evidence base for investment decision making. The role is varied and could involve:
- Helping to build an enduring capability for Strategic Investment Planning, by playing a central role in the formation and development of a new team.
- Managing activity of the team, developing people to realise their full potential and achieve results through effective coaching, delegation and support.
- Contributing research and development ideas around new economic or analytic approaches and supporting the wider team in the development of their ideas.
- Supporting teams throughout Scottish Water in their investment decision making processes, helping them to bring customer and community centric perspectives into their evidence base.
- Helping to establish reporting and performance metrics and measures, to track long term progress of Scottish Water
- Building relationships within and outside the team and working within an environment which supports Ethical Based Practice and Regulation.
Skills and Experience
- Capable of building a high performing team and of developing people to realise their full potential and achieve results through effective coaching, delegation and support.
- A background in economics, analytics, data science or other strongly numerate experience, with a track record in developing and delivering analytic approaches or projects.
- A creative and curious mindset, ideally with experience in a research or data led environment.
- Evidence of strong engagement and communication skills; writing, presenting and data representation.
- An interest in understanding and capturing the impact of Scottish Water’s activities on customers, the communities, and the environment, and linking this to investment.
- Experience of collaborative working practices.
What you’ll get:
The salary band for this role is £45,873 - £58,418 per annum,
You can also expect:
- 38 days of holiday per year (including public holidays) with the option to buy 5 more.
- Eligibility to join the defined benefit, contributory pension scheme.
- Annual company bonus
- Life assurance scheme.
- Paid time off for community volunteering.
- Access to 'SW Splash', saving you money on holidays, bills and shopping.
- Excellent family friendly policies around Adoption, Maternity, Parental Leave and Flexible Working.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 28 May 2023.
Do you have any support needs?